does anyone else ever think REALLY, REALLY HARD about how cool ginny weasley is
if u r reading this u r a cute and u deserve all the happiness the universe has to offer
there is a direct correlation between people who hate hero duke and people who hate cosette
i’m not saying anything
if you don’t think enjolras would be horrified at the fandom’s constant bi-erasure and queer!erasure and WOMAN erasure then I don’t know what to say to you.
Over the last couple of days, I’ve been thinking a lot about the Les Mis fandom, and about the recent incident with the anon meme that resulted in a well-respected person quitting the fandom for good. A post has been going around encouraging people to be good to each other, to reach out to their friends and tell them how much they care — a noble and admirable proposition to be sure.
But while I firmly support that proposition, I don’t think that goes far enough. Our problems as a fandom don’t flare up when we’re talking to our friends, but when we deal with acquaintances, strangers, or people we may not even like very much.
To that end, I’d propose the following:
- Accept that not everyone is going to agree on everything. Every single one of us comes to this fandom with our own beliefs and interests and tastes, and we are all going to develop our own interpretations of the text and the characters. We’re not going to all agree on anything, or like the same things. We need to just accept that — revel in it, even — and move on.
- Don’t call people out publicly. We all screw up from time to time, but instead of reblogging someone’s post and telling them in no uncertain terms how they’re wrong, send them a message privately. Give them the opportunity to retract their statement or apologize if appropriate, rather than publicly shaming them and allowing for other people to pile on.
- Make liberal use of the tools tumblr gives us to avoid the things we don’t like. Honestly, the xkit guy should be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This site allows us to basically ignore anyone and anything that gets on our nerves — so we can block users we don’t want to hear from, stay out of tags that make us angry, or add things to our blacklist.
- If we see something, say something. The sad fact is that we have tolerated bullying in the fandom for far too long. Too many of us remained silent when fans were being bullied for shipping the “wrong” ship or liking the “wrong” actor or drawing the characters in the “wrong” way. And too many of us scoffed at the power of the anon meme to intimidate people, even as it was driving fans away for months before this most recent incident happened. If we see bullying happening, we need to speak up, regardless of who the victim is.
- Open our hearts and minds to new things — and to new people. Yes, we should tell our friends we love them — but we should also spread the love to people beyond our immediate circle as well. Read different writers. Support new artists. Submit things to Les Mis Positivity. Send messages to people we don’t talk to, but whose contributions we appreciate.
We’re all here because we were touched in some way by a book and/or a musical and/or a movie that is all about the power of love and redemption. Let’s do better at trying to live up to the source material.
Senior English major on a Shakespeare final.
WELL THEY’RE NOT WRONG
If you think about it, though, that’s a really useful phrase to throw blame off of someone. So if someone accuses you of something and you say this, you’re basically saying ‘not only was I not involved in the act, but we’re talking a completely different play set in a completely different country. Wasn’t me, dude.’
"When I was a kid, I believed you would become a mermaid when you went in the water to swim".
I really loved the little mermaid as a kid growing up so I had the warped perception you became a mermaid when you entered the water ahaha. This is me learning to swim with my cousin! This piece is for a gallery show at work.
#1 this is just one of those gems that you maybe glossed over as a kid but now like oh my god harry you naughty boy w/ the sex dreams
#2 beginning of ootp big d taunts harry about his nightmares, which he was privy to bc harry talks excessively in his sleep
#3 wonder if like any of the other boys were ever woken up by harry moaning her name in his sleep and like how awk would that be for dean or neville’s like yeah this isn’t going to end well and just thank fuck ron’s a heavy sleeper
I shouldn’t blog my late night thoughts.
You should ALWAYS blog your late night thoughts
DON’T ENCOURAGE ME, NIKKI
But I’m an enabler.